Mosque Α -Ahmed Paşa mosque

Acrocorinth castle: the site of Beyzade or Ahmed mosque (Mosque A) (Google earth).Mosque Α (as such named according to the Greek Ministry of Culture’s official website) is situated in the 3rd precinct of the Acrocorinth fortress, at the northern entrance of the castle and close to its northern gate. It was constructed during the First Ottoman Occupation (15th-17th c.). The mosque is identified as the Beyzade or the Ahmed Paşa cami, according to Evliya Çelebi's visit in Acrocorinthus (1668). The remains of another mosque, Mehmed II cami, are found at the southern area of the castle.
The mosque has a rectangular shaped ground floor plan, measuring 9,50x13,05 m (general dimensions). Its entrance is placed at the northwestern side, and the main door is crowned by a lower circular arch, formed by two rows of finely curved voussoirs (indication of possible Venetian intervention). The rectangular niche recessed above the entrance would have held the coat of arms of La Serenissima. A 7,80x3,00m riwaq arcade (portico) once covered, precedes the main prayer hall at the northwesternern facade and a minaret is attached at the northwestern side of the square shaped main hall. The 0,70 m thick masonry is composed by porous blocks of stone, partially elaborated, while other materials, such as bricks, ceramic broken pieces of tiles, and wooden joints have been interspersed.
The building’s main hall is covered by a semispherical dome, part of it has though collapsed, resting on four squinches at the four corners. The minaret has a polygonal base, leading to a winding stairway. It has lost the biggest part of its shaft, the balcony, the upper body with its spire and no indication about their initial form has been evidenced.
In the mosque’s main prayer hall the mihrab (polygonal niche covered in stalactite or honeycomb vaulting), crowned by a multi-foliate arch, is placed at the south wall designating the direction of prayer toward Mecca. A double rectangular frame consisting of rounded cornices borders it and a small light-window is set above. Two windows are opened on either side of the mihrab, crowned with flattened pointed arches. The west wall is pierced for a window and is externally reinforced at the base of the talus of masonry. The eastern wall does not present any opening, apart from small
The building was repaired and altered by the Venetians, who used it as a munitions store.

Acrocorinth Sultan Mehmed II mosque & minaret

Sources


Carpenter Rhys and Bon Antoine, with contributions by A. W. Parsons, Corinth, Results of excavations, vol. III, part II, “The Medieval Fortifications of Acrocorinth and Vicinity”, in “The Defenses of Acrocorinth and the Lower Town”, Cambridge University Press, 1936, p. 263.
Chrysafi-Zografou Metaxoula, “Τουρκικά κτίσματα στην Κόρινθο. Κρήνες και θρησκευτικά κτήρια”, ΥΠΠΕ, Τεχνική Περιοδική Έκδοση Αναστήλωση-Συντήρηση-Προστασία Μνημείων και Συνόλων, τ. Α΄, Αthens 1984, p. 269.
Koumoush Anastasia, “Mosque at Acrocorinth”, in Ottoman Architecture in Greece, edited by Brouskari Er. and others, Hellenic Ministry of Culture – Directorate of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Antiquities, Αthens 2008, p. 136.
http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/2/gh251.jsp?obj_id=19514, οfficial website of the Greek Ministry of Culture.

Eleni I. Kanetaki

Beyzade or Ahmed mosque as depicted from the top of the castle.Morea-Acrocorinth, Ahmed Pasha M. Machiel Kiel’s digital archiveBeyzade or Ahmed mosque, its southern facade.The Beyzade or Ahmed mosque from the east. Sultan Mehmed's mosque is traced at the background scenery.Beyzade or Ahmed mosque: its entrance.The domed interior of the mosque and its "oculus".The interior of the mosque and its mihrab niche.Detail of the mihrab niche "stalactite" decoration.The entrance at the Beyzade or Ahmed mosque from the inside of the main prayer hall.Details of the main entrance and the lower arched doorway.Remains of the Beyzade or Ahmed mosque's minaret. No indications of the upper shaft are found.Detail of the minaret's upper level -no indications of the former balcony were evidencedlezantaa
lezanta









Web Design and Development : Diadrasis Logo